Friday, September 30, 2011

Jack's Dog, Jenny

I woke up this morning thinking about our old dog, Jenny.  I do that from time to time, think about things that I no longer have after leaving my marriage.  Our new neighbor has a dog that barks 8-10 hours a day and as I grit my teeth and talk badly about his owner, I'm reminded of how much I miss that stupid dog of mine. 


Whenever I look at this photo I am still at blown away that we actually...lost our sanity...and got our dog, Jack, a dog of his own.  We thought it was a cute idea, my daughter and I.  You see, Jack seemed listless, bored with life...he was a border collie mix and was finding it hard to stay motivated as a dog, so we brought home Jenny.  She was quiet and a bit shy and Jack was in his glory to have a new found friend.  But things changed.   Fast.  I'm not sure if it was the initial experience of putting Jack in a head lock with no resistance or when she tasted 'couch cushion stuffing' for the first time.  Its honestly a blur as I look back.   


The couch...the couch.  It was the first brand new set of furniture I had ever had.  I'm not sure how it happened, but a zipper malfunctioned at one point and Jenny found that weakness.  Sitting out on the front porch and peering into the house to check on her was the first time I saw her do it.  I rapped on the window as she was slowly mouthing the corner of the cushion.  "She's just a pup.  She's teething"  My mind wandered thinking "whatever would Ceasar think of me?" Soon after she could prop the cushion on its side, stand up on the love seat and have a full meal of the cushion.  Before we knew it, our furniture set was out on the sidewalk with a "free" sign.  I am always amazed, when I think back that someone actually picked it up and took it home.  Always.


I miss her terribly and I regret every day that I was unable to keep her.  I hope she was placed in a home that loved bad dogs and that hoarded couches.  It would be the perfect life for her.  I love you, Jenny Girl.
Note To Self:  Never buy your pet a pet.



No comments: