Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cold Showers Aren't Always Bad

We sat on the couch looking at each other for the longest time trying to decide who was going to take the first shower.  I, being the more considerate one, chose my daughter to go first.  I thought it was only right...you know...being a mother and all, I wanted her to be the first.  She on the other hand was showing me the same love.  We were at a standstill.

I had never experienced having the gas shut off before.  It was an experience I'd soon like to forget.  During those 2 months I would tell my youngest sister, "Just take a cold shower today.  Just get in and take one.  Think about me as you attempt to throw your body into the spray of icy, chilling water."  She told me she tried it for about 15 seconds and said "screw this" and turned on the hot water.

So here my daughter and I sat.  Looking at each other with smiles on our faces saying "no, really, you go first."  After a few days of this, we decided to change the approach.  Who would be able to get into the water the quickest and reign supreme?  Damn it was horrible.  It was painful.  Honestly, painful.  I remember getting into the shower one evening and wanting to cry.  I felt alone.  I was standing there, thinking about how my life sucked...you know, because I couldn't take a warm shower...and all of a sudden I thought about the water that was flowing from the shower head.  It was free.  It didn't cost me a dime and no matter where else my money was unable to stretch to, at least I knew each day I had the pleasure of turning my faucet on, knowing without a shadow of a doubt that there would be water.  As I stood, half frozen in the shower, I thanked God for the water.  I thanked Him for my landlord and his decision to include water in the price of the rent.  I thanked Him for the opportunity to see the good in a shitty situation and I felt something within me change.  I was mostly thankful for that.
Note To Self:  Water, at any temperature, is a good thing.

1 comment:

haagportfolio said...

Kim, you are always good for a shower at our place. Welcome to the blogasphere.