Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Alternative to Banking

I have been in search for a bank that doesn't charge you ridiculous fees to open and keep a checking account.  Fees for the checks, fees if the amount you deposit is too small, fees if you deposit checks and are not part of direct deposit.  Fees for using an ATM, other than the one the bank offers.  Fees if you decide to choose debit over credit.  It probably one of the most frustrating tasks I've had to do in a while and I just wish there was an alternative.

Last week, a friend told me about a guy she had recently met at a 24-hour diner.  I'll call him "Mississippi" since this is where he originates from.  From what I gathered, "Mississippi" and his friend (I'll call her the "Acid Queen") were sitting at the counter in the wee hours of the morning, drinking coffee and eating post bar foods.  "Acid Queen" left to discuss a purchase in the parking lot while "Mississippi" looked for anyone who would listen to his tale.  Thank God my friend was there to listen to his ramblings.  He explained that he had once attempted to sell some dope to a random cat he had met, but the guy was uninterested and offered "Mississippi" a job instead.  (Are you freaking kidding me??   This guy, moves in to make a sale and walks away with a paycheck?   I'm so confused.  Seriously, confused.  I, with my Masters in Education, can barely find a job and "Mississippi" during a drug sale, finds one.  Again...we are born naked and wet....)

"Mississippi" didn't trust banks so he kept his money in his wallet.   When asked if he was afraid to be robbed, his reply was simple:  "If you see my wallet laying there, go ahead, take $100, but the next time that I see you, just know that I'm gonna kill ya."  He was calm and collected and didn't seem bothered by the possibility of having to actually kill someone for taking a bill or two from his wallet.  I'm sure those that knew him and his motto kept clear of his wallet.  I'm sure if his wallet was laying somewhere no one would even think about touching it.  Can you imagine the changes in banking if society was to adopt this way of thinking???  Banners could be hung above banks all over the country saying "Rob Us and You Die".  It would have to work a heck of a lot better than mini explosions of blue dye and grainy photos of suspects.  I don't know.  If I saw a bank with a sign like that, I'd put my money there.  I'd be proud to call that bank my own and I'd be willing to pay those miserable fees I so often complain about. 
Note To Self:  Continue Searching For That Special Bank

No comments: