Saturday, October 22, 2011

Wardrobe Change

Losing and gaining weight is an unending battle.  I worked my ass off to lose 52 lbs.  I did.  AND I did it the right way.  Watched what I ate (did not starve myself) and added exercise.  I took me 9 months to lose it.  My doctor had been bugging me for YEARS to quit smoking and I told him that if I lost the weight I needed to, I'd quit.  I had to lose it because I knew, from experience, that I would pack on a few pounds while quitting.  So, I did it.  I lost it and honestly, I looked pretty great when it was said and done.  I lived up to my promise and I quit smoking and of course, as expected, I gained some of it back.  Well, 30 of it back and so here I am, back on track finally ready to get serious.  I am excited to eventually get back into my 'skinny' clothes again, but you know, its a fact...people never really keep their weight off.  I'm not being a Debbie Downer, its just a fact.  
I realized not too long ago that the average person keeps their lost weight off anywhere between 18 months to 2 years.  Really.  Just take a moment to think about everyone you know that has lost a lot of weight.  Okay, are they fat again??  If you know 3 that lost it, at least 2, if not all 3, have put it back on within or pretty darn close to that time frame.  Oh, maybe some are still thin, chugging along the road to success, but seriously, its only a matter of time.  They are going to start believing that a McFat and Lazy burger is okay once in awhile! Relapse to fatville is...well.... inevitable.  


I am now more relaxed about the whole process.  I just tell myself now "don't gain it ALL back." Life seems less stressful and I think its because I learned this simple lesson:  Do NOT throw out your fat clothes.  Don't do it.  I know, I know, you are thinking what all of us have "I'll NEVER be fat again."  That's a lie.  You probably will.  You'll be wearing sweats before you know it and even they'll be too tight.  Keep the fat clothes.  Just store them away and forget you have them...for awhile.  When you gain your weight back, store your skinny clothes.  Think of it this way, in 2 years, fat or thin, you'll have a whole 'new' wardrobe again. That's exciting.  Right?
Note To Self:  A serving of cake is not 1/3 of its entirety.  Shocking!

No comments: