Wednesday, October 19, 2011

No Double Dutching Here

I had a strange memory come to mind this morning as I sat at the computer trying to keep the cat from walking across the keyboard.  I was transported to my childhood backyard.  I must have been 9 or so and I was holding the end of a jump rope.  On the other end was a cat.  I can't even remember the cat's name anymore, but she was tied to the other end and I was swinging her in the air.  I know, I know, you don't have to say a word.  It was a horrible event, but for shit's sake I was 9 and lived on a farm and as far as I knew cats came in boxes and were dropped off regularly at the end of our driveway.  They were a dime a  dozen and mind you, I'm not making excuses up and ....I'm just saying....I thought about that cat as I swung her in large circles.  I truly believed she was enjoying it as much as I was.  My heart's intention was not to be cruel to her, but it was really just something to do.  I honestly thought it was fun.  My father came out of the house with a switch and I quickly realized it wasn't the most brilliant thing I had done.  Of course it goes without saying that I never again tied a cat to the end of a jump rope.  No, no, I simply moved on to other things like eating salt licks for the horses.
Note To Self:  Watch your salt intake.

No comments: